For animals with sensitive skin, the ideal shampoo should be free of harmful toxins and harsh chemicals. It should contain soothing ingredients that help maintain normal moisture content of the skin and provide support for their skin health. Our shampoo specifically formulated for dogs with sensitive skin may help to support occasional itching due to skin irritations like dry skin, seasonal allergies, or bug bites. Use our shampoo to gently cleanse and soothe your dog’s skin, leaving them feeling refreshed and healthy.
At Natural Dog Company, we’re quite familiar with itchy dogs! Our balms and supplements get real results, and our line of hand-cured bar shampoos has been a huge hit with pet parents.
However, the most common feedback we’ve received on the bar shampoos is that they can be difficult to manage mid-bath—and we get it, trying to lather up a bar of soap while wrangling a wet, squirmy dog is no easy task! That’s why we formulated a liquid shampoo specifically for dogs with itchy skin.
Our shampoo is specially formulated to support the health of sensitive skin and provide relief from occasional itching due to skin irritations, such as bug bites or flea bites. While we cannot claim that it will heal or improve skin conditions like psoriasis or eczema, our customers have reported that it effectively reduces the associated itching. Whether your dog has skin irritations or just needs occasional relief, our shampoo can help soothe their skin and leave them feeling refreshed.
How To Choose The Best Itchy Dog Shampoo:
When selecting products to use on your dog (and yourself, for that matter!), always check the ingredients. Look for all-natural and toxin-free formulas which are responsibly sourced and manufactured, and avoid formulas that include sulfates and parabens.
Natural Dog Company is more than just a name, and we only use the best raw materials in our products. Our production facilities are FDA certified and officially recognized for their Good Manufacturing Processes. This ensures that the highest safety and hygiene protocols are followed at all steps of production, resulting in a high-quality, responsibly made itch relief shampoo for dogs.
Itchy Dog Shampoo has been rigorously tested and confirmed non-irritating and hypoallergenic, so it’s safe for sensitive pups. We thoughtfully curate natural ingredients that balance, heal, and soothe even the most difficult skin allergies and chronic conditions. The top active ingredients in Itchy Dog Shampoo include:
Distilled from the familiar purple flowers of certain species of lavender, this oil is naturally antimicrobial and anti-fungal. Its anti-inflammatory properties can soothe eczema and itchy skin while also calming and soothing the senses.
This essential oil is derived from the tough leaves of the eucalyptus tree and promotes wound healing. Its pleasant, soothing scent also helps to ease anxiety which can directly contribute to skin problems.
Jojoba oil (pronounced huh-hoh-bah) is extracted from the seeds of a woody shrub native to North America. It has been used by indigenous peoples for centuries to treat sores and wounds, as its properties support moisturizing and healing. This oil also acts as a natural conditioner, keeping your dog’s skin and fur smooth and soft.
Aloe vera gel
The gel from the inside of the aloe vera leaf is a well-known treatment for burns. This naturally hydrating plant material also helps heal abrasions, cuts, and irritations.
The powdered form of this large seaweed helps relieve itchiness with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Commonly known as baking soda, this naturally-derived fine powder helps to balance skin pH. The fine powder also acts as a mild exfoliant, removing allergens and dead skin cells from dry, itchy skin.
What If My Dog Hates Baths? (Dog Bath Tips)
Many dogs have grooming or water-related anxiety, but bath time does not have to be your dog’s worst nightmare! By making baths more fun and rewarding for the dog, you’ll be more inclined to bathe them regularly as you work through their skin issues. Here are some dog bath tips from the experts:
- Exercise first — wearing your dog out with a walk or other physical activity will help them feel more relaxed at bath time
- Prepare beforehand — take a lesson from professional pet groomers and have all your supplies laid out before you even call the dog: several towels, your shampoo of choice, brushes or combs, a cup for rinsing, etc
- Take your time — particularly if you have a fearful dog, try to take things slowly and don’t rush them into the bath
- Make it fun — if your pup cowers or even hides when you speak the dreaded B-A-T-H word, try making grooming into a game with treats, toys, and lots of praise and positivity
- Test the temperature — although you might enjoy a piping hot shower after a long day, dogs are generally not as heat-tolerant as humans; aim for a slightly warm water temperature just above lukewarm for optimal bathing comfort
- Provide traction — if you’re bathing in a slippery tub or sink, lay a towel or rubber mat at the bottom to create a non-slip surface for your dog to stand on
- Treat in the tub — if you’ve got a food motivated pup, offer plenty of high-value treats like peanut butter or hot dog bits throughout their bath; this creates a positive association with grooming and encourages the dog to be still while you lather and rinse
- Protect sensitive spots — never use soap near your dog’s eyes, and be sure to cup your hand securely over each ear when rinsing
- Rinse thoroughly — speaking of rinsing, be sure to rinse all soaps and shampoos completely out of your dog’s coat with clean running water, using a handheld sprayer if possible; leaving residue can exacerbate irritation and dry out their skin
- Plan after-bath bonding time — since bath time can be stressful, it’s important to help the dog decompress afterwards with some cuddling or playtime; after-bath zoomies should be encouraged!
Support Skin Health With Balms And Supplements, Too!
For maximum effectiveness, pair our Itchy Dog Shampoo with our best-selling skin balms and all-natural supplements. We’ve even created The Skin and Coat Essentials Trio so you can bundle and save on our best skincare products dogs! This bundle is the one-stop shop for supporting your pet’s skin from the inside out.
A once-per-day Skin and Coat Supplement starts nourishing the skin from the inside to support your pup’s immune system and maintain overall skin and coat health. Skin Soother is a great topical solution for spot treating skin concerns. Itchy Dog Shampoo maintains healthy skin & coat by washing away dirt and surface-level irritants while leaving skin moisturzied.
Support skin and coat health from the inside out with our nutrient-dense Skin and Coat Supplement chews. These little chews are a powerhouse of healthy-skin ingredients including salmon oil, flax seed, and vitamin E.
After 3 weeks of the Skin and Coat Supplement, Bella is back to normal! Vet didn’t recommend anything and said just to wait it out, but we did our research and found you guys! Thanks so much! — Tyler | Bradenton, FL
For hot spots, rashes, or wounds, Skin Soother is the ultimate natural Neosporin for dogs. Our all-natural, organic balm is proven to protect and treat a plethora of bacterial issues including atopic dermatitis, allergic dermatitis, and more.
Koda is our “problem child!” It seems like he’s always getting hurt or has some medical issue. He was only 6 months old when we did a ton of tests to find a solution for his extremely itchy skin. After a year of trying everything, with nothing working, I saw Natural Dog Company on Instagram. I put the Skin Soother on an area of his leg that he has chewed off most of the hair. He looked SO relieved after I put it on! In just a couple days, THE HAIR GREW BACK! — Lindsey | Artesia, NM